Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Three Steps of Compassion

Lately, after I saw so much more about the injustice in this world, I began to have a deep sadness and compassion for the people who live in this world. Some have found the salvation in Jesus, but they still live in misery, because they no longer have hope in the Lord's coming and they no longer set their eyes on what is above, they fall down during their oppression. Some others haven't even heard about Jesus at all. These facts make me more and more sad by each passing day, wishing I could do something for them. Today, I think I will share something about Compassion... the Bible tells us that compassion is not a one-step process, but in Jesus' example we can see that mostly it is a three-step process.

Bible verses to read:
- Matthews 9:36, 14:14, 15:32, 18:27, 20:34
- Mark 1:41, 6:34, 8:2
- Luke 7:13, 10:13, 15:20

So, what are the Three Steps of Compassion I mentioned?
1. His eyes saw them (or His ears hear them) - RECOGNITION
2. His heart was moved with compassion for them - COMPASSION
3. His hands stretched forth to help them - ACTION

Some people stopped on Step 1.
They saw those people in need, they saw those people being hurt and oppressed. But because they have no love for them, they can't share those people's feelings of sadness, hurt, hunger, loneliness and many others. Their heart was not moved by compassion, so they felt nothing, and did nothing in the end. These are best exemplified by the priest and the Levite in the parable of "The Good Samaritan" in Luke 10:30-35.

Some people stopped on Step 2.
They saw, and they was moved, but they did nothing. They can certainly empathize on those people and they can share their hurt, but without any actions, their emotions turned into emptiness. How many times now we have watched the media, where we saw disastrous incidents, whether natural (like earthquakes, thunderstorms, forest fire etc) or incidental (remember the killing of the children of an elementary school lately? and also the WTC 9/11 and many other incidents), yet we do nothing, NOTHING at all to ease them of their misery? Do not think too far as to give donations or something else for them. Did you even PRAY for them? I must admit that I did not, but I came to realize that even when I cannot comfort them by giving donations, or by simply being there, GOD can. He is there, He can grant them will all they need, He can comfort their feelings and He can give them new hope. When we can't do something for them why don't we put them and surrender them in the hands of our mighty Savior?

Some people jumped over Step 2.
Yes, it IS possible to see the oppressed, and do something for them WITHOUT ANY COMPASSION. I do not know about you who live in another countries, but if you're in Indonesia, then most likely you will understand this. In Indonesia, we can find beggars in almost any traffic lights. Some of the beggars are not old, disabled people, but sometimes young, strong men who simply just won't go find any work. These guys can often threaten you to give them money, and sometimes they even go far enough to scratch your car with a nail or something. So, in the end, in order to avoid any troubles and car-scratches, you give them money, most oftenly between Rp.100,- to Rp.500,- (about one to five/six cents), Rp.1.000,- are rare occassions. Did you see them? Yes. Did you do something for them? Yes. Did you have any compassion for them? No. Is it good? NO!

So the best way to go is to have all of the three steps in order and completed. Right now, I am trying to have all these three. Sometimes it is hard to just be content with praying for the Step 3. I feel like I want to do something more, something that is more practical, more real and more useful for them than JUST PRAYING. But in reality, I know that mostly I can't do anything more, and that makes me sad. Yes people, injustice will still remain in this world, as long as Christ's not coming for the second time yet. All I can do is pray, and pray, and pray. And hope that I will be given some chance, even as little as it can be, to comfort and help those people in need around me. I want to focus my life on my surroundings, because God has given many things for me, even so many that most people around me don't have. I am thinking about how to help them, and ease them, relieve them of their pain.

Yes people, it's very painful not to be able to do anything, even though you know they're suffering, even though you know they're hurt, but still, in the end, you can do..... nothing.

I want to do something for them.... even as a tool
Yes, I want to be Your tool, if it means I can help them
Even for a little, even for a minute, even for a second
I long to help them... because You have put compassion in me
You have put Your heart for the world in me....

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)