Sunday, April 24, 2005

Struggle To Believe

For background information about this event please read news and articles about the Nias Earthquake in March 28th in case you haven't known about it already. You can find it spreading almost everywhere in major news sites like BBC, CNN and ABCNEWS, also if you look in Google and another search engines. Even Wikipedia and Wikinews have in-depth articles about it.

A medical team from my church has finished a mission to aid the earthquake victims of Nias. Along with medical support, they also brought food and supplies for the people, although limited because they can only carry 10 kgs of baggage per person in the plane. They went to South Nias, where relief aid has been minimum and no medical team is present there. My friend who joined the team as a cameraman brought in a 24-minutes video footage which was presented in the Youth today. It was a sad and gruesome video to watch, especially the recording when the medical team was working on tending the people's injuries and wounds, ugh I couldn't watch it because if I force myself to do it maybe I will puke, and almost all of my friends especially the females couldn't stand it too... it was too scary to watch (imagine a scene where a doctor lifts a patient's fingernail on his foot and cut and lifted some kind of infected and already blackened flesh from the finger... aaaagh!!!)

I don't know whether this is true or not, but I heard 99% of the people are Christians. I can't imagine if I was in their position, how hard would be their struggle to believe that God is still there and caring for them. Even if my current condition I am constantly lashing out at God if things don't work out correctly, especially considering there are many problems in my life lately (can you think electronic devices broken down all at the same time this month?). I think I must behave myself better and imagine if I was in their position. They still believe on God, even though they have no home, they have no food, they have no clothes, they have no medicines... and when the medical team came it was surprising to see how much will to live they have left in them. We have to learn to be content and be thankful for everything we have, everything we have here right now is a miracle from God, we are still living and breathing and not being deprived of anything.

Meanwhile, continue to pray for our brothers and sisters over there. I heard that there will be another medical team sent there soon, hopefully it can help those who are in great need. When my friend was there the people were still in tents where in one tent there could be 5 to 8 families (imagine that). At that time they were residing in the front yard of a school, but since the school was to be used again from this Monday, my friend and I do not know where these people will move to. They are homeless and they have nowhere to go. If you were one of them, can you still believe and hold on to your faith?